We haven't been able to reach first village ravaged by landslide: Kerala Guv
The extent of devastation caused by landslides in Kerala's Wayanad is yet to be known, as rescue teams have not even reached the settlement first struck by the landslides, Governor Arif Mohammed Khan has said as the death count in the calamity crossed the 200 mark.
Speaking to NDTV, the Governor said that the bodies recovered so far are mostly from a village that was devastated as the Chaliyar River changed its course.
"The river changed its course because of the landslides and ravaged a village. These bodies have been recovered from that village. But we have not been able to reach the first village which has been ravaged by the landslide," he said.
This village, the Governor said, has been cut off after a bridge leading to it was washed away. "The Army engineering unit is trying to build a Bailey bridge (a portable bridge) and this may be completed within a few hours," he said, adding that it is not possible to properly assess the scale of damage till the bridge is built.
"It is not possible because we have not been able to reach the first site affected by the landslide," he said.
The Governor stressed that the village struck first by the landslide is "not a remote village". "It is in a hilly area, but it is not remote. It is part of a town area. It is a 100-year-old settlement."
On being asked about Union Home Minister Amit Shah's claim that the Centre had sent landslide alerts to Kerala days before the calamity struck, the Governor said, "Yesterday was not the time to take stock of these things. So I am not in a position to go into that issue. This is the time to share the people's grief, to meet patients, their relatives."
Shah's remark has sparked a political blame game, with Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan refuting the Home Minister's remark and stressing that the Centre's warning came hours after tragedy struck.
Refusing to comment on the same, he said, "If the Home Minister is saying warnings were issued, I have no reason to doubt it."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese
New Delhi/IBNS: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday congratulated his Australian counterpart Anthony Albanese on his wedding to financial services professional and women's advocate Jodie Haydon, calling the Australian leader “a good friend”.

Massive U-turn! Mamata Banerjee finally bows to Centre’s Waqf law after months of fierce resistance
Kolkata/IBNS: In a major shift from its earlier stance, the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government has accepted the controversial Waqf (Amendment) Act passed by Parliament earlier this year, media reports said.

Delhi Police serves notice to private hospitals for doctors who studied in Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE, China
New Delhi/IBNS: Intensifying its investigation into the Red Fort blast case, Delhi Police has now issued notices to all private hospitals across the national capital, asking them to submit records of doctors who obtained their medical degrees abroad.

'My name is Sophie': Meet saree-clad AI teacher developed by 17-year-old UP student
Lucknow/IBNS: In a remarkable advancement for low-cost educational technology, a 17-year-old student from Uttar Pradesh's Bulandshahr has engineered an Artificial Intelligence (AI) teacher robot.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

