Australian pace star Mitchell Starc announces retirement from T20 format
Australia's white-ball pace spearhead Mitchell Starc, who is known for firing some memorable spells in the shortest format of the game, announced his retirement from T20 internationals to focus on Tests and ODIs.
He has not represented Australia in T20 since his last appearance in the T20 World Cup in West India last year.
According to the Cricket Australia website, the left-arm fast bowler will remain available for Tests, ODIs and domestic T20 leagues, including the Indian Premier League.
He is leaving the format as one of the most successful bowlers in Australian cricket history, scalping 79 wickets from 65 T20Is. He is just behind colleague Adam Zampa.
He is best remembered for his prolific performance in the 2021 edition of the T20 World Cup, where he played a crucial role in the national team's title victory.
"Test cricket is and has always been my highest priority," Starc said in a statement.
"I have loved every minute of every T20 game I have played for Australia, particularly the 2021 World Cup, not just because we won but the incredible group and the fun along the way," he said.
"Looking ahead to an away Indian Test tour, the Ashes and an ODI World Cup in 2027, I feel this is my best way forward to remain fresh, fit and at my best for those campaigns," the cricketer said.
Since David Warner's retirement, several top Australian cricketers, including Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis, have quit the 50-over format.
Praising Starc for his contribution to the game, selection chief George Bailey told Cricket Australia: "He was an integral member of the 2021 World Cup winning side and, as across all his cricket, had a great skill for blowing games open with his wicket-taking ability."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

