India likely to skip Bangladesh tour amid Pahalgam tension: Reports
The escalation in tension between India and Pakistan over the Pahalgam terror attack is likely to disrupt the cricket calendar in the subcontinent region.
According to reports, India may skip the Bangladesh tour in August.
India is scheduled to play a white-ball series in the neighbouring nation.
Amid tension between India and Pakistan, a Bangladeshi official triggered the row with his provocative suggestion that Dhaka should consider occupying seven states located in India’s North East if New Delhi launches a military strike on Pakistan.
Meanwhile, a source told The Times of India: "The tour is part of the calendar but nothing is final yet. There is a bright possibility of India not touring Bangladesh for the ODIs and T20Is because of the current situation."
Bangladeshi Official's Explosive Remark
Retired Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman, currently serving as chairperson of the National Independent Commission of Inquiry into the 2009 Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) massacre, triggered the row with his remark posted on
His remarks come amid cooling relations between Dhaka and New Delhi following the ouster of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in August last year.
'Bangladesh Should Invade Seven Northeastern States'
“If India attacks Pakistan, Bangladesh should invade and occupy the seven northeastern states of India. We must initiate discussions with China on a joint military arrangement,” Rahman posted in Bengali on Tuesday.
The post received a “like” from fellow commission member Shahnawaz Khan Chandan, a former member of the Islamist student group Islami Chhatra Shibir.
Chandan, now an assistant professor at Jagannath University, is reportedly a close confidant of Yunus, according to a report by The Print.
Pahalgam Aftermath
Rahman’s post appeared as regional tensions flared following the Pahalgam attack. India has since suspended the 1960 Indus Waters Treaty, closed the Attari border post, and downgraded diplomatic ties with Pakistan.
Meanwhile, Dhaka has shown signs of re-engagement with Islamabad.
Earlier in April, the two countries held their first foreign secretary-level talks in nearly 15 years, addressing bilateral ties and lingering historical issues.
Other gestures have included relaxed visa policies and renewed discussions around the events of 1971.
A visit by Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar is reportedly being planned but is yet to be confirmed due to the shifting regional dynamics.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

Three-day forestry training in Agartala stresses sustainable livelihood, green entrepreneurship

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

