Inzamam-ul-Haq steps down as PCB's chief selector
Former skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq has stepped down as Pakistan’s chief selector with immediate effect midway through the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.
Pakistan have won two and lost four of their first six matches of the tournament, leaving them with an outside but unlikely chance of qualifying for the semi-finals.
And the Pakistan Cricket Board announced on Monday that Inzamam has stepped down from his role with the team pending an internal investigation.
Inzamam's departure from the post could be temporary, with the 53-year-old saying: "I am stepping down from the post to offer the PCB the opportunity to conduct a transparent inquiry about the conflict of interest allegations raised in the media. If the committee finds me not guilty, I will resume my role as the chief selector."
The former Pakistan captain and batter was previously the men’s chief selector between 2016 and 2019, and returned to his role ahead of the Asia Cup earlier this year.
In his previous tenure as the chief selector, Pakistan won the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy by beating arch-rivals India by 180 runs at The Oval. He also picked the squad that won five out of the nine league games at the 2019 Cricket World Cup in England and Wales but failed to make it to the knock-out stage.
Pakistan’s disappointing showing in India had seen some criticism turned toward captain Babar Azam as well as Inzamam.
But head coach Mikey Arthur, speaking last week, warned against apportioning individual blame.
“It's really unfair to start a witch hunt, certainly on Babar Azam, on Inzi, on our coaches, on the management team,” Arthur said.
“What I do know is the boys have tried and the effort of the coaching staff, the effort of the players has been first-class. If they would see the amount of effort that the players and staff put in, they would be amazed.”
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

Suspected child lifter from Bihar severely assaulted by mob in Teliamura

