Ayatollah Ali Khamenei aims at Donald Trump, US forces as Iran-US nuclear diplomacy continues
The second round of indirect nuclear talks between the United States and Iran is underway in Geneva, as both sides attempt to resolve tensions over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
However, sharp remarks from Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei have added to the high-stakes atmosphere.
Ahead of the talks, US President Donald Trump expressed optimism that Iran was interested in an agreement.
In contrast, Khamenei, in a series of posts on X, criticised Trump, questioned US military dominance, and warned about Washington’s growing naval presence near Iran.
He stated: “The US President has said that for 47 years, the United States hasn’t been able to eliminate the Islamic Republic… You, too, will not be able to do this.”
The US President has said that for 47 years, the United States hasn't been able to eliminate the Islamic Republic. That is a good confession. I say, " You, too, will not be able to do this."
— Khamenei.ir (@khamenei_ir) February 17, 2026
Khamenei further warned that even the US’s strongest military could be struck hard, and that Iranian capabilities could neutralize threats such as deployed warships.
The US President keeps saying that they have the strongest military force in the world. The strongest military force in the world may at times be struck so hard that it cannot get up again.
— Khamenei.ir (@khamenei_ir) February 17, 2026
The Geneva talks are mediated by Oman’s Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi.
The US delegation includes Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, with Trump remaining indirectly involved.
Iran is represented by Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who emphasised on X that Tehran seeks a “fair and equitable deal” and will not submit to threats.
The heightened diplomatic effort coincides with a US military build-up, including the USS Abraham Lincoln and USS Gerald R Ford, near Iran.
Iran has responded with maritime drills by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that while reaching an agreement will be difficult, it is not impossible. “I think that there’s an opportunity here to diplomatically reach an agreement ... but it’s going to be hard,” he noted.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Tarique Rahman takes oath as Bangladesh PM
Tarique Rahman, who led BNP to victory in the general polls held last week after months of political uncertainty since ex-PM Sheikh Hasina's exit from Bangladesh amid widespread violence on August 5, 2024, took oath as the PM on Tuesday.

Indian national accused of sexually assaulting minor arrested in US
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials have arrested an Indian national who is accused of multiple offences, including sexually assaulting a minor.

From Kapil Dev to Gavaskar: 14 cricket greats step in for jailed Imran Khan, write to Pakistan govt
Several former cricket captains, including 1983 World Cup-winning skipper Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar, have written a joint letter to the Pakistani government urging it to ensure proper medical care and dignified treatment for jailed ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Yunus revives ‘Seven Sisters’ pitch in farewell speech, sparks fresh buzz before BNP takeover
Bangladesh’s interim government chief Muhammad Yunus once again stirred debate by invoking the term “Seven Sisters” — a reference to India’s northeastern states — without naming India, while highlighting the region’s “immense economic potential” in his farewell address.
Latest News

Ex-Assam Congress chief Bhupen Borah to join BJP on Feb 22, confirms CM Himanta Sarma

Alia Bhatt to present at 79th BAFTA Awards; to join Cillian Murphy, Kate Hudson, among others

CM condemns threats to journalists, warns against misuse of power of chair

Man accused of impregnating widow surrenders before police

