The accused, identified as Shawan Chandra Das, is the son of Sadhan Chandra Das from the Majipara area of Gauripur in Mymensingh.
According to police officials, the controversy began after an allegedly objectionable image connected to the Holy Quran was reportedly shared through the accused’s IMO account, an international messaging and video-calling platform.
Mymensingh Police Superintendent Md Kamru Hasan said the post triggered strong reactions among local residents.
He stated that the accused had gone into hiding after the incident on Tuesday before being arrested by officers from Tejgaon Police Station in Dhaka on Wednesday.
The police official did not provide additional details regarding the content of the post or the legal charges likely to be filed.
Mymensingh district has witnessed multiple incidents involving minority communities, particularly Hindus, in recent years.
Earlier this year, a Hindu businessman identified as Sushen Chandra Sarkar was killed in the Trishal area of the district.
Police said Sarkar failed to return home on the night of February 9, after which family members began searching for him.
According to police officials, he was later found with severe head injuries allegedly caused by a sharp weapon and was declared dead after being taken to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital.
Another incident reported in the district involved the death of Dipu Chandra Das, a garment factory worker who was allegedly lynched by a mob in December 2025 over accusations of blasphemy.
Media reports stated that he was attacked after allegations surfaced regarding a Facebook post considered offensive to religious sentiments.
According to reports published by The Daily Star, investigators later said they found no evidence that the victim had posted material insulting religion online.
Officials from the Rapid Action Battalion reportedly stated that neither local residents nor co-workers could confirm any such activity by the deceased.
Last year, Bangladesh’s interim administration, led by Chief Adviser Muhammad Yunus, released figures relating to incidents involving minority communities and law-and-order issues across the country.
According to the official review of police records, authorities documented 645 incidents involving members of minority communities in 2025.
The figures were compiled from First Information Reports, General Diaries, charge sheets and police investigation records collected nationwide.