Breaking
Loading breaking news...
Loading...
Northeast Herald Logo

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

IBNS
5 min read
Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Share this article:

In a statement on social media, the IAF said India had “swiftly launched Operation Sagar Bandhu” following the widespread destruction caused by Cyclone Ditwah across Sri Lanka.

According to the IAF, a C-130 and an IL-76 aircraft were dispatched from Hindon Air Base during the intervening night of November 28 and 29.

The aircraft carried essential rations, critical relief items, NDRF teams, and equipment required for search, rescue, and humanitarian operations.

“Demonstrating the Neighbourhood First policy, India stands in full solidarity with Sri Lanka during this challenging time,” the statement added.

A C-130 aircraft carrying food supplies and sanitary essentials landed at Colombo’s Bandaranaike International Airport around 1:30 am, where officials from the Indian High Commission and the Sri Lanka Air Force received the consignment.

Operation Sagar Bandhu

India launched ‘Operation Sagar Bandhu’ on Friday, November 28, to support Sri Lanka in the ongoing crisis.

The first batch of relief material was delivered earlier after the Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier INS Vikrant and the frontline warship INS Udaigiri transported consignments to the island nation.

Death toll climbs to 123

Sri Lanka’s Disaster Management Centre (DMC) reported that as of 9 a.m. Saturday, at least 123 people had died, and 130 others were missing due to floods and landslides triggered by the cyclone.

The DMC said more than 200,000 people from 61,000 families have been affected countrywide.

Sri Lanka reels as Cyclone Ditwah triggers deadly floods, leaving 56 dead and thousands affected nationwide.Cyclone Ditwah batters Sri Lanka, leaving at least 123 dead. Photo: Screengrab from X

However, officials in Kandy warned that the toll could be higher, noting that more than 50 deaths had been reported in the district by late Friday night, though the figure had not yet been officially verified.

Badulla district in the central highlands has also suffered extensive damage, with over 35 deaths and many residents still unaccounted for due to landslides.

Sri Lanka is confronting one of its worst natural disasters in recent years as Cyclone Ditwah unleashed heavy rains, floods, landslides, and widespread destruction of infrastructure.

Authorities ordered evacuations as major reservoirs and rivers overflowed.

The weather department cautioned that rainfall exceeding 200 mm was likely, even though Cyclone Ditwah was expected to leave Sri Lankan territory by late Saturday.

Nearly 35% of the country has been without electricity since early Friday, affecting about seven million Ceylon Electricity Board customers.

Continuous rainfall and rising floodwaters have slowed restoration efforts.
 

Tags:
#agartala news#tripura news#northeast herald#world news

IBNS

Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.

Related Articles