CAS publishes full verdict on dismissal of Vinesh Phogat's joint silver medal appeal, terms it ’particularly difficult case’
Geneva/IBNS: Nearly a week after announcing the verdict on Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat's plea against disqualification from the Paris Olympics 2024 as dismissed, the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) on Monday (August 19) released a full report of the entire proceedings, media reports said.
The CAS explained the terms and conditions of the United World Wrestling (UWW) and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in the detailed report.
The CAS, in its preliminary observations, also mentioned that this was a particularly difficult case.
The international body, however, noted that Vinesh Phogat was above the 50 kg limit for her wrestling category when she weighed in for the finals at the Paris Olympics 2024.
"This is a particularly difficult case. The facts are not in dispute: the Applicant was above the 50 kg limit for her wrestling category when she weighed in for the finals at the Paris Olympics. Had she competed, she would have been awarded either the gold or the silver medal. Her success in the competition had led to her being in that position," according to the CAS document.
"The Sole Arbitrator observes that the Athlete entered the field of play and fought and won three rounds and reached the final of the 50 kg wrestling competition at the Paris Olympic Games before she failed the second weigh-in and was ineligible to compete in the final. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on her part," the CAS document observed.
Earlier on August 7, Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat, competing in the women's 50kg freestyle category in the Paris Olympics 2024, was disqualified just before her gold medal bout with the US' Sarah Hildebrandt.
Phogat was given the reason that she weighed 100 grams more than the permissible limit of UWW.
Later in the day, the wrestler appealed against her disqualification at the CAS and sought a silver medal.
On August 8, Phogat announced her retirement from wrestling after being upset with her disqualification.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

Tota, Abir and Mimi to star in Srijit Mukherji’s new film ‘Emperor vs Sarat Chandra’

Blockbuster opening! Tere Ishk Mein storms box office despite harsh critic reviews

